Between 1915-1951, hundreds of Pleasant Ridge students received their education from outstanding teachers at Reed School.
One notably large class attended Reed School in the spring of 1939. Miss Norma Schmoll was in her second year of teaching when Reed School climbed to 33 students. Reed School had well over 30 students at several points throughout its history. Miss Schmoll continued teaching at the school for three more years. Only one other Reed School teacher taught longer.
Mrs. Orvilla Selves Zille, pictured above, taught at several one-room schools before arriving at Reed School in 1943. She taught at Reed School until 1948, and then continued teaching in the Neillsville area until her retirement. Many of her students, named below, were involved in the support and restoration of the school.
See the complete list of teachers employed at Reed School during its 36 years of operation. The list includes their names, length of tenure and monthly salaries.
School was suspended after the 1950-51 school year when the number of students dropped to 10. Reed School students were transferred to schools nearby.
School consolidation following World War II all but eliminated these country schools from the state's educational landscape. Despite considerable opposition from the community, the Reed School officially closed in 1954.
In the photo: Mrs. Orvilla Selves Zille – Teacher. Starting on the left, the first row students (from front to back) are: Ruth Scholtz (Homan), Jean Larsen, Donna Johnson (Christensen), Edith Scholtz (Kunze), Marjorie Moberg. Second row: Evelyn Drescher, Sharon Moberg (Horswill), Linda Suckow (Grottke), Betty Schultz (Kissner), Clifford "Buzzy" Swann, Russell Schnabel. Third row: William "Billy" Swann, Robert Marty, Douglas Larsen, William Marty, Nancy Huckstead (Nemitz), and Sharon Langfeldt. WHS Image ID 45011 caption: Reed School teacher, Mrs. Orvilla Selves Zille, and her 17 students posing for a photograph in the spring of 1947.